Senior Analyst - Climate Disclosure & Accountancy
Location: Currently remotely due to Covid-19 situation, office is London Bridge, UK
Reporting to: Rob Schuwerk - Director North America
Start Date: ASAP
Term: Six months fixed term with a view to extend to permanent
About the Company
Carbon Tracker Initiative is an independent financial think tank that carries out in-depth analysis on the impact of the energy transition on capital markets and the potential investment in high-cost, carbon-intensive fossil fuels.
We believe that financial markets, regulators, investors and policymakers all have an urgent role to play in guiding the world to a climate-secure energy system.
Carbon Tracker’s analysis of ‘unburnable carbon’, ‘stranded assets’, and ‘wasted capital’ has reframed the debate around climate change risk.
The Regulatory team builds upon Carbon Tracker’s research on financial risk by identifying the ways by which regulators can ensure that companies are providing transparency around those risks to the market.
The team’s focus, more specifically, is on ensuring sufficient transparency so that markets can price those risks into their valuations.
This includes engaging principally with accounting standards setters, capital markets regulators and those who can influence their decision-making.
About the Role
Carbon Tracker are excited to be seeking talented candidates to fulfil the role of leading our research work on accounting, auditing and disclosures.
To include consideration of how existing standards can be made fit for purpose by providing transparency at the accounting level on the implications of climate change on the extractives sector, and whether auditors are sufficiently challenging management on the underlying assumptions used to prepare the financial statements.
The role also considers wider corporate reporting.
The role will require presenting research to media and stakeholders.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Engage with relevant organisations on accounting, auditing and wider corporate reporting issues relating to climate-related risks within the extractives sector.
These organisations may include: Accounting standard setters, Major audit firms, Accounting and audit regulators, Financial regulators
- Respond to relevant consultations by any of the above organisations
- Keep up to date on new and ongoing IASB projects relevant to climate change and the extractives sector
- Develop and drive our narrative to specialise in this area to achieve Company goals and mission
- Keep up to date on relevant developments in accounting, auditing and wider corporate reporting, including new reporting requirements, guidance and best practice
- Where needed, write reports on topics such as: reserve and resource reporting, decommissioning provisions, accounting standards, auditing practices etc
- Perform outreach activities with media and other relevant organisations relating to the release of the above reports
- Work with Outreach to engage CIO offices and research analysts involved in the work
- Speak confidently at conferences and events to present the work
- Have an outward mindset with ability to influence policy makers, facilitate and effect behavioural change in the markets
- Develop a potential consulting package for accounting and audit firms to be delivered via Carbon Tracker’s trading arm
- Assist the wider regulatory team on other matters as necessary, including work with the Climate Action 100+
- Fully qualified accountant with extensive experience in a top 4 accounting firm
- Wide network for insights, collaboration and influence to harness and engage
- Confident speaker and ambassador
- Adept at sourcing and researching credible and relevant data and information
- Experience in working in a deadline driven environment
- Highly motivated, a fast learner driven to grow the role and increase responsibilities
- Methodical and organised with a high attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to translate complexity clearly and concisely
- Team player, high integrity, diligent
- Passion for the mission
GBP £57,000 to £65,000 plus 7% contribution to pension
- Please attach your CV along with a covering letter explaining how you would fit into the team to the link provided and include the reference RE0002
- Applications without a covering letter will not be considered
- Carbon Tracker can only consider candidates who are eligible to work in the UK
- We strive to ensure that opportunities to work and develop at Carbon Tracker are open to all.
We welcome applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of age, disability, gender identity or gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other equality characteristic
- Carbon Tracker supports flexibility and we welcome career returners
- The closing date for applications is 17 September 2020
- Thank you for your interest in Carbon Tracker and good luck!
Carbon Tracker will process any data provided in response to this open role for recruitment purposes only.
We will hold personal data on candidates in our applicant tracking system which is fully compliant with current GDPR legislation until our open role is filled.
We cannot state the exact time period for this because it varies role to role.
The period is over when a candidate accepts our job offer and starts in the new role.
When that period is over we will delete your data.
You have the right to lodge a complaint about the way we handle your data with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) or you can contact us directly if you have any concerns you would like to discuss.
More Jobs from Hiring People
- Registered Care Home Manager
- Trainee Manufacturing Operative
- Manual Grinder
- Studio Administrator
- Delivery Driver
- Delivery Driver
- Factory Operative
- Care Assistant
- Executive Personal Assistant
- Cabinet Maker
- Cabinet Maker
- Factory Operative
- Office Assistant
- Business Development Manager
- Product Manager
- E-Commerce Office Assistant
- General Manager / Business Coach
- Loft Conversion Team Leader